Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ellis at The Movies 3 Burn After Reading

This weeks film is

Joel an Ethan Coens Burn After Reading (2008)

A good movie is like falling in love for the first time. You realize that this person/movie is everything to you and whenever you think about this person/movie you just melt inside to me that is the experience i felt after seeing Burn After Reading. I fell in love with this movie.

Here is the description from IMDB.com

A disk containing the memoirs of a CIA agent ends up in the hands of two unscrupulous gym employees who attempt to sell it.

What i liked about this movie.
The performance of Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt as Linda and Chad two of the employees at Hard bodies Gym. I just loved how they played these two totally idiots who have no idea what they have gotten themselves into. A great example of this is the scene where they discover the memoirs of Osbourne Cox ( John Malkovich). They see it as a big break to something bigger for both of them I also enjoyed the set design by Jess Gonchor. I liked how he created the places where the characters lived. A perfect example is The Cox home i found it very tight and cold like the characters of Osbourne Cox and Katie Cox (Tilda Swinton). Another example of this is Linda's apartment it is really plain in its design just like Linda how Linda feels that she is plain to the rest of the world

What i didn't like about this movie

I found the movie to be to short. It clocks in at 96 minutes but i just felt it could have been longer. Otherwise a brilliant film from Joel and Ethan Coen

Final Thoughts
After a rough week at Ellis at The Movie headquarters. This was the perfect movie to get me out of my funk. I recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed the coen brothers films in the past or if you like a good dark comedy.

Ellis at the Movies final rating
Four our of Four stars See this movie and you will not regret it

Next week i will be back with a review of Woody Allen's Vicky Christina Barcelona and i will also share my top ten movies of summer. Thanks for reading and save a seat for me

No comments: