Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ellis at The Movies 2 Mamma Mia

In this weeks blog i have decided to review
Phyllida Lloyd's Mamma Mia.

When i go the the pearly gates st peter will ask me what my deepest darkest secret is. I will think for one second about my life in this mortal world and tell him that I was a sucker for a good musical. Werther it is watching Gene Kelly dancing with Cyd Charisse in Singing in the Rain or Tim Curry doing the time warp in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I have always been a sucker for a good musical

Here is a description from IMDB.com

20 year old Sophie is preparing to marry her boyfriend Sky at her mother's hotel on an island in Greece. She seemingly has it all -- a carefree life, a loving fiance, and happy friends -- but one thing has been missing all her life: a father.


What i liked about this movie.
I enjoyed the cinematography which was shot by Haris Zambarloukos who was the second unit director of photography on Batman Begins. The one particular moment i enjoyed was was the opening shot of the film in which Sophie the main character sings I Have a Dream The way Zambarloukos composes the shot like a painting of muse callening out to the gods for insperation.I also enjoyed the choreography which was done by Anthony Van Laast. who was the original choreographer on the west end version of Mamma Mia. The way he transitions the dance numbers from the stage to screen is amazing, One moment that stands out is the Money number. This is the song Donna sings after the Dynamos arive on the island. i like how Laast has the performers move around the island not as if they were on the stage.

What i didn't like about the movie.
There was really nothing that i didn't like about this movie



Final Thoughts
I don't plan on going to the pearly gates anytime soon but if i do i will still say to Saint Peter That i was a sucker for a good musical during my lifetime.I give Mamma Mia Four out of Four Stars for the stunningly beautiful cinematography and for the choreography which transitioned well from stage to screen.

Next Week
I will have a review of a new movie i haven't decided which one yet and Sunday i will have the DVD review of the Second Coming posted.

Thanks for reading and i will save you a seat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..nice work, mr. ellis..

..keep my seat warm..

;)